Monday, January 28, 2013

Growing the Grassroots - time to plant seeds for 2014!


Dear newly elected Democratic Party Leaders for CDs across the state –

This letter has been formulated as a model for a letter you can write in your area. For years, we have heard talk of regional infrastructure development from various Democratic leaders. These ideas were touched on recently in the FDP Chair’s race. However, we actually already have an under-utilized regional structure in the guise of our elected congressional district leaders.

**********************************************

Congratulations! You are a new elected congressional district chair or vice chair. What does this mean exactly? For some of you, this is an opportunity to serve on the Central Committee or to organize the National Convention delegate selection process for 2016.

For others of you, this election means more than that. I have had the chance to talk to current, former, and aspiring congressional district leaders around the state. These conversations have taught me that the model for congressional district leadership that holds the most promise for developing Democratic Party infrastructure embodies the notion that holding this elected position is a key regional leadership role that can be used to unite congressional districts and leverage organizing resources to overcome demographic and geographic disadvantages.

In my congressional district, I have high hopes and great expectations for the next four years. I would like to see DECs established in counties where none currently exist. I would like to see existing DECs strengthened and expanded.


Here is where I tailor the letter specifically for my own district:

*******************************************************************

I am hoping to see the development of a coordinated grassroots campaign aimed at winning back Congressional District 2 and contributing to winning top of the ticket statewide races. It is my hope that we can work across the district to put our counties in the win column for a Democratic governor and Cabinet seats.

To that end, I plan to continue my own efforts with the Small County Coalition and the Democratic Women’s Club to nurture our North Florida and Panhandle infrastructure. I am looking forward to having the support of dynamic leaders with a vision for growing Democratic infrastructure.

I have scheduled Amy Ritter from Florida Watch Action to speak in Wakulla on February 14th on messaging and grassroots organizing. In March, we will be hosting Franco Caliz from Democracy for America to train us on high touch strategies for Democratic community organizing.

I invite my neighbors from the Panhandle and North Florida to join us for our upcoming programs.  I want to take this opportunity to extend an invitation to our newly elected Congressional District 2 leaders to join us to speak about their version for CD2 in 2014 and 2016 at our DEC meeting in Wakulla on April 11th at 7 pm EST at the Wakulla County Library. Our executive board would like to highlight CD2 Chair Patricia Byrd and Vice Chair Franklin Brooks as our featured speakers for the April meeting.


Thank you for your service to the Democratic Party. I look forward to working with you,

Rachel Sutz Pienta, PhD
Chair and State Committeewoman, Wakulla DEC

No comments:

Post a Comment